Matt is a 34-year old independent artist & physical educator based in Wiltshire. He brings 10+ years experience in devising and touring indoor & outdoor performance, with a proven track-record in contributing to successful touring shows. A diverse performer & an inclusive communicator, he brings a warm and constructive energy to his work as a performer, teacher & choreographer - based in a wholehearted passion for the arts.
As a teacher of dance & acrobatics, Matt's workshops have been hosted across the world through his company 'Body Roots'. This includes events in Tanshaus Zurich (Switzerland), Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance (Israel), Yizong Bagua Deustchland Cologne (Germany), Bewegungspielraum Berlin (Germany), Rumah Yoga (Amsterdam), Cafe Move Cork (Ireland), Move Intensive Festival (Portugal), Tripspace London (UK), Sudden Movements (UK), Space At The Mill Manchester (UK) alongside assistant teaching work in Costa Rica (USA).
As a performer Matt has worked on a diverse array of theatre, dance and circus productions across a 10 year career. Including:
• Sally Cookson (National Theatre) on 'Boing!'
• Ellen Havard (Propeller Theatre) on Hurricane Boy
• Wilkie Branson (Sadlers Wells)
• Javier de Frutos (London Road, Game Of Thrones) on 'The bomb in my pacific' for the Wales Millenium Centre
• Compass Presents Immersive Theatre Company on 'The Caligari Experience'
• 2 years performing & 1 year as director of UK’s oldest sketch comedy troupe, The Durham Revue; national touring with Cambridge Footlights & Oxford Revue including 2 full runs at Edinburgh Fringe.
• Joy Magnet Outdoor Arts & Fool's Paradise Entertainment Agency on 7 years of outdoor shows and walkabout performances
As a physical eduator, Matt works with
• Circomedia Centre for Contemporary Circus & Physical Theatre - where he is a member of permanent staff teaching acrobatics & movement
• Hijinx Inclusive Theatre Company - one of Europe's leading inclusive theatre companies
• JABADAO National Centre for Physical Play where he has worked as an early years developmental movement specialist
DYCP MENTORS & COLLABORATORS
• Akshay Sharma, professional choreographer who has worked most recently with Fevered Sleep, and whose work is supported by Northern School of Contemporary Dance, Yorkshire Dance, Kalasangam, Brick Box Rooms and Chandigarh Sangeet Natak Akademi, India.
• Beth Powlesland, artistic co-director and founder of Kapow Dance Company, producing dance for the outdoors since 2015 and supported by Arts Council England.
• Ryan Murphy an independent artist and physical theatre practitioner, working primarily in outdoor circus-theatre productions with Wet Picnic and with his own Company Tit for Tat. Ryan has significant degenerative hearing loss and identifies as a deaf artist. He works with other artists to encourage more accessible ways of creating & enhancing work for deaf audiences.
• Andrew Tadd, a professional actor and dancer who has worked with Frantic Assembly, National Theatre Wales, Teatro La Ribalta, Danza Mobile. Andrew also has downs syndrome.
• Ben Pettitt-Wade, artistic director of Hijinx Theatre Company